Have you ever heard of superfoods getting scored based on their immune boosting powers? Well, that IS actually a thing and that's what I researched to come up with the ingredients for this smoothie. The scoring method is pretty simple. These superfoods have key micronutrients that are proven to strengthen and support immunity as well as fight off viruses and infections. The scoring method is based on the bioavailability of each micronutrient. Kale is a perfect 100 (of course)! Strawberries, carrots, and oranges are all in the high 40's.
Gut Health & Immunity
Aside from nutrient-dense fruits and veggies, I included collagen peptides in my smoothie. Collagen is a great source of protein, reduces inflammation, and nourishes every cell in our bodies. But, the main reason collagen is an essential ingredient in this smoothie is because collagen is crucial to overall gut health (healthy gut = strong immune system). How does collagen benefit the gut? Collagen helps heal and seal the gut lining and repair the mucosal layer. Your gut microbiota sets the foundation for your overall health! Doesn't that seem like an important part of our body to nourish?
- 1 orange, peeled
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 1 cup strawberries, cut into halves
- 4 large stalks of kale, stems removed
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 scoop collagen peptides (optional)
- Peel the orange and carrot. Cut the green parts off the carrot and strawberries. Slice the strawberries in half. Remove the kale leaves from the stems. Place all prepared fruits and veggies in a blender with 1 cup of cold water and blend until everything is a smooth puree (about 30 seconds- 1 minute).
- Stir in collagen peptides and drink up!