My pasta obsession has reached a new level since I discovered spaghetti squash. We first started using it to replace noodles with our spaghetti sauce, then we got a little more adventurous and created this recipe. Before we found spaghetti squash we had to basically eliminate pasta from our diets because Brian is type one diabetic. Even whole grain noodles caused a massive spike in his blood sugar levels and eating pasta was no longer worth it. We tried substituting zucchini "noodles" for regular wheat noodles, but we never felt full after dinner. Spaghetti squash is the perfect replacement because we can enjoy pasta and feel full without the grains and excessive carbs. You won't even know this pasta is healthy because it tastes so good!
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 40 minutes | Total time: 50 minutes | Serves: 4
- Drizzle of EVOO
- 1 spaghetti squash (about 2 lbs)
- 8- 10 slices of bacon (about 8 ounces)
- 5 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tsp sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 and drizzle a little EVOO on a cookie sheet.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and discard the seeds and stringy stuff. Place the squash on the cookie sheet flesh side down.
- Put in the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes or until you can easily poke a fork through it.
- While the squash is in the oven, cook bacon in an electric skillet. Mince garlic at this point as well- set minced garlic aside.
- Once the bacon is cooked, remove from the skillet and place on a paper towel. Discard the grease from the skillet but do not rinse, wipe, or wash the skillet.
- Add the minced garlic to the lightly greased skillet and saute over medium heat for 2-5 minutes. Turn the heat to low once the garlic is softened.
- At this point the spaghetti squash should be cooked. Remove it from the oven and flip the squash over onto a cutting board. Use a fork to rake the flesh away from the skins to create the "noodles". Add the squash noodles to the skillet and discard the skins.
- Chop the bacon into half inch bits and add to the garlic-squash mixture in the skillet.
- In a small bowl, stir half and half, grated cheese, salt, pepper, and parsley together. Add to the skillet and stir everything together until the cheese has melted.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
- Look for local pasture raised bacon with no added sugars. It's also important to buy bacon from pigs who have not been given growth stimulants, hormones, or antibiotics.
- Grate the cheese yourself if you have the time. Pre-grated cheeses often have anti-caking agents and preservatives. Avoid buying low-fat or non-fat cheese.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Reheat 30 seconds to a minute in the microwave