This breakfast is one of our all time favorites! I usually make this casserole and overnight oats on Sunday as part of our weekly food prep. Having breakfast ready for us every morning is important since our family is on very different schedules. After I make the casserole and the oats, I divide five servings of each into tupperware so Brian can easily grab his breakfast and go for early mornings at the office. I leave the rest in the fridge for the kids and me to eat during the week.
Another reason we prepare our breakfast on Sunday is because it makes it easier to eat within one hour of waking up. We strive to eat a balanced breakfast of quality protein, fats, low glycemic carbohydrates, and fiber. We don't track our meals, but we have general rules such as eating a vegetable and protein with every meal (even snacks). This is so important to us because 1. Brian has type one diabetes and this is the best way to manage his blood sugar levels, and 2. Eating a balanced breakfast within one hour of waking up improves cognition and mood, which is especially true for children!
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes | Total Time: 35 minutes | Yields: 6 Squares
- Drizzle of EVOO
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 5 oz fresh baby spinach
- 10 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9x13 dish with cooking spray.
- Drizzle a little EVOO in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped mushrooms and spinach and saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After the mushrooms are tender and the spinach has wilted, drain the excess liquid using a strainer. Pour the mushroom and spinach mixture into the lightly greased dish.
- Beat 10 eggs in a medium size mixing bowl with the salt, pepper, and garlic powder until combined. Pour eggs over the mushrooms and spinach in the dish. Sprinkle crumbled feta evenly over the top.
- Place the dish in the preheated oven and bake for 25- 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- After it's finished, remove from the oven and let cool before cutting into 6 squares. Enjoy!
- Store in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- Reheat in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Buy local, free range, organic, pasture-raised eggs if possible.
- Avoid buying low-fat feta. Our bodies need a healthy dose of fat to feel satiated and for proper cell function, among many other things.